• about

Relative Caregivers

When children cannot safely remain in their own homes, the preferred option for placement is with a relative.  Relatives are often willing and able to care for the children but may be concerned about the additional financial burden they will incur.  Relatives who have a blood-relation to the child, such as grandparents, aunts and uncles, may apply to receive Relative Caregiver Funds.

Relative Caregiver Funds can only be applied for if there is a dependency court case and the children have been adjudicated dependent.  This generally occurs at the beginning of the case, but there are occasionally delays that can hold up these applications from being submitted.  Your Family Care Counselor can give you additional information and help you apply for these funds, which can be received for each child and are based on a sliding scale correlated with the children’s age.

Additionally, children in out-of-home care qualify for Medicaid, although you will need to submit the paperwork to have yourself listed as the caregiver.  Your FCC can also help with this process if the Child Protective Investigator is no longer involved.  You may also be eligible to receive free or low-cost daycare services.

There are many programs available to assist you in caring for the children, so be sure to keep open communication with your FCC about your needs and concerns.  It is also important to attend court hearings so you know how the case is progressing and can express your feelings to the judge.

Contact Us

Partnership for Strong Families' Headquarters Location
5950 NW 1st Place, Suite A
Gainesville, FL 32607

Phone: (352) 244-1500
Toll Free: (866) 310-7326
Fax: (352) 244-1647

© 2016 Partnership for Strong Families

All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy

Problems with the website?
Please let us know